Marliss Melton BB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Marliss Melton BB

www.marlissmelton.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Depressed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Marliss Melton

Marliss Melton

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2006-11-24

Depressed Empty
PostSubject: Depressed   Depressed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am

I am so depressed. The real reason I can't churn out a book in six months is that I write a story and my editor basically asks me to rewrite it. I've told you guys that Gus and Lucy have been problematic for me. The first draft was full of action but low on tenderness. Duh! I already knew that, but my editor has told me how to fix the problem, so it's back to the drawing board. I had half a day of freedom, thinking I could take a break and let my mind rest, maybe enjoy a little down time. But no. I'm back on a deadline. So now you know. I just can't be rushed, if you want me to write a good book.
Over and out.
Marliss Mad
Back to top Go down
Lolly

Lolly

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Depressed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed   Depressed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 11:22 pm

"Good" is a matter of perception. Some of my favorite movies are one that have been panned the hardest by film critics, and some of my least favorites are those that have garnered the most critical acclaim.

Did you like the version that you sent in to your editor? If so, why? And if you didn't, why not?

It sucks that you have to go back and revise it instead of having some down time. If it makes you feel any better, based on the talent displayed in your previous books, I would read just about anything that you author. If your writing changes or evolves, I will probably evolve with it. (Just as long as is it doesn't ever get real scary...I'm a big, and by big, I mean BIG chicken!).
Back to top Go down
Marliss Melton

Marliss Melton

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2006-11-24

Depressed Empty
PostSubject: She was right   Depressed Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 am

Okay, so my editor was right.
Thanks, though, Lolly, for taking the time to bolster my confidence, which was in the mud.

The problem with the first draft was that the story lacked tenderness. I thought it was because there aren't any kids in the book or something, but my editor told me to keep the plot and change Gus & Lucy's relationship from the beginning. They shouldn't start by sniping at each other but with tenderness (on Gus's part) and attraction on Lucy's part, and, by George, the revisions are flying now!

I'd better get back to them. The second draft is due just after Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Depressed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed   Depressed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Depressed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Marliss Melton BB :: Main Discussion :: General Discussions-
Jump to: